Shelley with Granddaughter Opal
Shelley with Family
I am Shelley Pinegar Peterson. I am the happily married wife of a dear man
for 30 years, mother of five amazing children, grandmother of two (soon to be three!)
angels, piano teacher, and I’m a Mormon - a member of The Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints.
Why and how have I become a believer?
I guess you could say, as any musician would—that I owe it
all to “practicing.” Putting into
practice what the church teaches--its values, its covenants--and relying on my
Divine Instructor have given me my witness of its verity. As Jesus said, we can all know of the
doctrine whether it be true (of God) or not, by doing his will, or in other
words, by “practicing” it (John 7:17). As I have practiced living in
“harmony” with the teachings of Jesus Christ and of His restored church, I have
found peace and happiness that is like a living fountain. It fills me and I am never left wanting for
answers to questions about the purpose of this life and how I can be happy now
and forever (What is the purpose of my life? Mormon.org).
Has this knowledge spared me from life’s challenges? No. Dealing
with pain, sorrow, personal losses - both emotional and physical, I have found are all part of the music of life-- like “incidentals” (sharps and flats) that take
us up and down, as we each play our life’s song. I have personally battled anxiety and
depression most of my days since childhood.
But I learned as a child that I can pray to my Father in Heaven for
help, anytime, anywhere and in doing so, I have received comfort and guidance
through His spirit in undeniable ways that are personal and real. Prayer has been and is the grace note of my
life. My trials actually turn into
blessings because they help me turn to Him and see His miracles performed. Practicing my faith in Jesus Christ keeps me
in tune with His Spirit and living His Gospel enables me with the power to
perform what would otherwise seem to be impossible. "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (Philippians 4:13).
The Gospel of Jesus Christ helps me understand that I am
free to choose happiness over despair (2 Nephi 2:28-29). I
feel happy and my burdens lifted both as I try to practice lifting others as He
did through service and as I cease practicing my mistakes and repent, relying on the great Gift of His
Atonement. I know personally that
Christ’s Atonement helps us find relief not just from our sins, but also our
sorrows. Surely He has borne our griefs,
and has promised: “I will not forget thee.
I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands” (Isaiah 49:15-16). As I
utilize that great Gift, I can go through the ups and downs of life “singing
the song of redeeming love!” (Alma 5:26, Book of Mormon). I know His loving
hands have taken me by the hand in all my trials and lifted me every time. My membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints brings a symphony of blessings such as these and many more. I know that “practicing”–living the gospel
of Jesus Christ and relying on His grace and Atonement—brings peace wherein we
are made perfectly whole through Him. This testimony is my greatest joy and my
song.


No comments:
Post a Comment